Application Requirement & Procedure
Hong Kong Computer Society Membership
Membership is restricted to persons who maintain a keen interest in the objects of the Society and having succeeded in satisfying the Membership Requirements as prescribed by HKCS for a particular class of membership. There is no restriction upon the total number of members.
There are two different classes of membership under which a total of eight grades of memberships are defined.
The Voting class of membership comprises the grades of Distinguished Fellow, Fellow and Full membership.
The Non-voting class comprises Associate, Student, Honorary, General and Corporate grades of membership.
Distinguished Fellow, Fellow, Full and Associate members have the right to use the designated letters Distinguished FHKCS, FHKCS, MHKCS and AHKCS respectively. There is no designated letters for the other grades of membership.
Membership requirements are as follows:
- An HONORARY (榮譽會員) member shall be a person elected to this grade of membership by order of the Council in recognition of his contribution to the Society.
- A DISTINGUISHED FELLOW member (Distinguished FHKCS) (院士) shall be a FULL member who has been recognized by the Council as having made an outstanding contribution to the Society. The title of Distinguished Fellow can only be conferred by unanimous decision of the Council, as proposed and seconded in writing by FULL members
- A FELLOW member (FHKCS) (資深會員) shall be a FULL member for at least 1 year and who has held a senior responsible position for over 15 years. Such person has made significant contributions to the IT Industry. The applicant shall submit an application duly signed by two Distinguished Fellows or Fellows to the Society.
- A FULL Member (MHKCS) (正式會員)
- holds a recognized degree, in information and communication technologies (ICT) or equivalent thereof, in ICT and has at least four years of practical experience in the use and application of ICT and the techniques related thereto; or
- holds a recognized degree with significant ICT content and has at least six years of practical experience in the use and application of ICT and the techniques related thereto; or
- holds a recognized non-ICT degree and has at least eight years of practical experience in the use and application of ICT and the techniques related thereto; or
- holds a recognized Higher Diploma/Associate Degree in ICT or equivalent and has at least six years of practical experience in the use and application of ICT and the techniques related thereto; or
- has passed such professional examinations as recognized by the Council from time to time and has gained an appropriate amount of practical experience in the use and application of ICT and the techniques related thereto; or
- has gained experience in positions of increasing responsibility in ICT over a period of at least fifteen years or has attained a position demonstrating a level of competence as recognized by the Council that would have admitted him to the class of Full member had he satisfied the normal academic requirements.AND that at the time of membership application he is actively engaged in a professional capacity in the use and application of, or training of persons in, computers and the techniques related thereto.
- An ASSOCIATE Member (AHKCS) (聯繫會員) shall be a person who satisfies the Membership Committee that he has already gained the required academic qualifications for admission to the Full membership.
- A STUDENT member (學生會員) shall be a person who is over sixteen years of age at the time of membership application and who is studying full-time in one or more subjects which in the opinion of the Membership Committee are deemed to be related to the objects of the Society.
- A GENERAL member (普通會員) shall be a person who satisfies the Membership Committee at the time of membership application that he is interested in furthering the object(s) of the Society.
- A CORPORATE member (公司會員) shall be an organization, company, institute or society which satisfies the Membership Committee that it is actively engaged in manufacturing, distributing and/or the use of computer equipment and systems, or providing education/training in ICT, and is interested in furthering the objects of the Society.
Each Corporate member may nominate at any one time up to three individuals (the representatives) who are employees or directors of the Corporate Member to represent the member. Nomination or change of representatives is subject to the approval of the Membership Committee.
The Council shall review the requirements for each class of membership from time to time and if deemed appropriate shall recommend changes as appropriate.
Application for membership (save and except Distinguished Fellow) shall be made to the Membership Committee on the prescribed form provided by the Society. The Council shall have the right to invite any qualified person, subject to the approval of the Membership Committee, to be a Distinguished Fellow.
The Membership Committee shall be appointed by the Council for the purposes of approving or rejecting membership applications.
Before or after approval of membership application, evidence of academic achievements, professional qualifications and working experience as stated in membership application must be produced upon demand by HKCS. The applicant also grants HKCS the optional right to conduct reference check with his / her (ex-) employers, academic institutes or professional bodies concerned.
Application for Full membership requires a proposer and a seconder, one of who shall be a member in the Professional class of the Society’s membership or equivalent class from another recognized computer society. The proposer and seconder shall be contacted by the Membership Committee and requested to forward a confidential report in support of the application.
Application for Associate, General and Student Membership does not require a proposer or a seconder. Application for Student Membership must be supported by an application form together with a copy of the applicant’s student identity card.
Application for Corporate Membership does not require a proposer or a seconder but must be supported by an application form signed by an authorized representative of the applicant organization and endorsed by the Corporate Seal.
Associate Members, General Members and Student Members can apply for membership in other grades when they have attained the respective requirements and academic qualifications appropriate to such grades.
Any applicant who is aggrieved by the decision of the Membership Committee may appeal to the Council. An appeal must be in writing stating in full the grounds of the appeal and must be lodged with the Council within 14 days of receipt of the Committee’s notification letter. The Council’s decision on the appeal shall be final.